Starting School in 2020 - 2021 (Reception Class)
At Horniman we follow the admissions criteria set out by Lewisham Council, please read carefully the information below.
Is your child due to start primary school in September 2020?
If your child permanently lives in the UK and was born between 1st September 2015 and 31st August 2016, you can apply for a Reception place for September 2020 from 1st September 2019.
Now is the time to:
The deadline for reception class applications is 15th January 2020 at 11.59pm, but Lewisham recommend that parents apply by 6th January 2020.
Visit the Lewisham Website www.lewisham.gov.uk/primaryadmissions for everything you need to know about applying for primary school places, including:
Deciding which schools to apply for
The first step is to decide which schools you would like to apply for. There are many primary schools in the Lewisham borough and in authorities outside the borough. Find out about Lewisham schools, and see which are nearest to you, at www.lewisham.gov.uk/primaryschools
Is my child likely to be offered a place at a school?
Where there are more applicants for a school than places available (oversubscribed), the admissions criteria is used to decide who should be offered a place. The admissions criteria vary from school to school. Horniman Primary School follows the Local Authority oversubscription criteria and places will be offered to children in the following priority;
1. A looked after child (LAC) or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption order (in accordance with the Children Act 2002), child arrangements, or special guardianship order (sections 8 or 14A of the Children Act 1989).
2. In exceptional circumstances there is discretion to admit a child on the grounds of their or their family’s severe medical or social need for that particular school and who would not otherwise qualify for admission.
3. Children whose brother or sister is on roll of the school
4. Children living nearest to the school.
For further information about admissions arrangements please contact: Admissions and Appeals Team, Third Floor, Laurence House, Catford SE6 4RU. Tel: 020 8314 8282 (lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-12 noon). Email: email@example.com
It is important that parents carefully read the information on the Lewisham website.
How do I apply?
Parents should apply online at www.eadmissions.org.uk. Advantages of this include:
When will I find out which school my child has been offered a place at?
You will receive an email during the evening of National Offer Day Tuesday 16th April 2019. It will tell you where your child has been offered a place and how to accept the offer.
You can find all the information you need to apply for primary school places at www.lewisham.gov.uk/primaryadmissions. If you cannot find the information you need or cannot apply online, please
contact the Admissions Team for information and advice on 020 8314 8282 (Monday - Friday 9am-12noon) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
Most children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities can get the support they need at local mainstream schools. They need to apply online at www.lewisham.gov.uk/primaryadmissions
If your child has a statement of special educational needs or an education, health and care plan, you need to follow a different process. Find out more at www.lewisham.gov.uk/SENadmissions
If you are interested in applying for a place at Horniman Primary School and would like to have a look around, please contact the school office or email. Parent tours at Horniman are being held most Wednesdays at 9.15am from 14th September until 9th January 2020 (with the exception of halfterm and Christmas break). We look forward to meeting you.
In Year Admissions
Lewisham Admissions are no longer issuing paper applications for children wishing to trasnfer school in-year.
You can apply online by clicking the link below:
You will need to provide:
1. Section 9 - Ensure that your child’s current headteacher has completed signed and stamped the information required in section 9. If this section is not completed, your application will not be considered as complete. The form can be found below. (This does not apply if your child is new to the UK or has been previously educated abroad).
2. Proof of address – please provide a copy of one of the following documents as proof of your child’s address:
* your current council tax bill
* your tenancy agreement
* your proof of house purchase (if within the last 6 months)
* If you are living with a family member – you will need to provide a copy of their CT bill, along with a letter stating that you and your child are living with them at the address on the CT bill
* doctors registration letters for both parent and child at the address on the CT bill
* a bank statement addressed to thparent at the address on the applicatioon/CT bill
3. Proof of parental responsibility – please provide a copy of one of the following documents addressed to you and including your child’s details:
* child tax credit letter
* child benefit letter
In the absence of these, a copy of the child’s birth certificate which includes the parents’ names is also acceptable.
Providing your application is complete and includes the relevant proofs a letter will be sent via email within 20 school days of the date Lewisham received your application to let you know the outcome.