Horniman Primary School is an exciting, happy, inclusive and engaging place to learn and work.
We are proud to have been awarded Artsmark Gold for our Arts curriculum.
At Horniman Primary school we provide a stimulating curriculum, encouraging independent, intellectual, social, spiritual and emotional growth.
The Arts are key in supporting children to develop in these areas.
The term ‘the Arts’ includes; music (instrumental and vocal), dance, drama, creative writing, painting and sculpture, photography, costume design, motion pictures and radio.
At Horniman we are part of the Artsmark. The Artsmark award has been designed to help schools to deliver a high quality arts and cultural education. It is based on seven quality principles.
The seven Quality principles are:
1. Striving for excellence and innovation
2. Being authentic
3. Being exciting, inspiring and engaging
4. Ensuring a positive and inclusive experience
5. Actively involving children and young people
6. Enabling personal progression
7. Developing belonging and ownership.
At Horniman we want to promote an awareness and enthusiasm for the visual arts, music, dance and drama and increase the opportunities for participation though
- The teaching of skills across all arts subjects and through topic work
- Enabling all children to take part in performances, involving a variety of audiences.
- The provision of a range of visits (galleries, local museums, theatres etc.) and visitors (musicians, visiting artists etc).
Every child has the opportunity to take part in two large performances (one in key Stage 1 and one in Key Stage 2), as well as smaller performances through other areas of learning.
All children learn the recorder in key Stage 2.
There are also a variety of music lessons available including guitar, woodwind and violin.
We have specialist teachers for music and fine art, giving the children the opportunity to learn skills from experts.
Plus each topic has a creative element to it, where children will use skills taught in the context of their current learning.
We also have enrichment clubs, which children can join. These include; art, dance, choir, street dance, museum and coding.