Horniman Primary School: Ethos, vision and strategy
Our principal role at Horniman Primary School is to set the strategic direction for the school and to ensure clarity of vision and ethos. The governing body have set the ethos, vision and strategy for the school for 2016 and beyond.
At Horniman Primary school we believe in the whole child. We understand that children are individuals with different strengths and interests. Our role as a school is to support, encourage and stretch our children academically across the full range of the curriculum, both during the school day and as part of a rich offer of extended services and before and after school care.
Our ethos is based around ‘five keys to success’ which are important for opening up opportunities for learning, and working together, and also for building strong life skills that help ensure a bright future for all of our children through their own personal development.
Our 5 keys for success and social and emotional well-being feed into all aspects of school life and are:
- Getting along
Our vision is for:
- A small, friendly happy school that provides a safe, caring and nurturing environment in which children (and staff) can be creative and where every child has the opportunity to flourish.
- A school where children, parents and staff are excited by learning and experiencing rich and enjoyable learning journeys through their time at the school.
- A school that has high expectations of progress, attainment and behaviour, and children are always encouraged to work to the fullest extent of their capabilities in all aspects of the curriculum.
- A school where children are given opportunities to try new things, to develop skills and interests, to engage in debate and discussion, and to extend their understanding of wider society and their role in it.
- An inclusive school with equal opportunities for all.
- A school that is part of its wider community, where parents and carers feel engaged and included.
- Strong pupil voice, where children are encouraged to contribute and to have a say in school life.
- A school with a vibrant and progressive culture and climate of continuous innovation, working towards being a centre of excellence for teaching and learning.